Our teeth are alive. Yours are, too. But it’s easy to forget that fact, and take teeth for granted. At Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH, we never take teeth for granted – but then, we look at teeth every day, and as dental professionals understand better than most just how amazing teeth can be. We’re using this blog post to share some of the more interesting facts about teeth.
- Children’s teeth are soft until about age 10.
- A tooth with a crown can get a cavity.
- Your gum tissue is as vital as your teeth.
- Some prescription drugs can increase your risk of tooth decay.
- Some home faucet water filters remove fluoride.
- 19 percent of children between the ages of 2 and 19 have untreated decay.
- Heartburn can be harmful for teeth.
- Allergies can cause tooth grinding.
- Dried fruit is just as harmful for teeth as sticky candy.
- Tooth enamel cannot repair itself, though dentin and cementum (the substance that surrounds the tooth root) are capable of partial regeneration.
- A Harvard-led team used low-powered lasers to activate stem cells and stimulate the growth of teeth in rats and human dental tissue in a lab. 1
- There are about 300 types of bacteria in your mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum after meals can help remove food particles on your teeth. You still need to brush, but if you can’t brush immediately after meals, sugarless gum can help keep your teeth clean.
- Cavities often don’t cause pain until they have reached the root and nerve of the tooth. Visit your dentist regularly to prevent cavities or at least to detect them when they are small.
- Bone recession can cause tooth loss even if no decay is present.
At Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH, we want the best possible dental health for all of our patients. Our services include pediatric dentistry and dental implants. Schedule your next cleaning and checkup with us today!
Contact Vanguard Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):