Dental implants from Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH are state-of-the-art, with a success rate in the area of ninety-eight percent. That number is a testament to implant technology.
But like any medical or dental procedure, there are certain risks involved. In this post, we will consider possible complications of a dental implant.
- Infection: Any surgical procedure poses an infection risk. That’s why we often prescribe an antibiotic beforehand. Beginning the second day post-surgery, the implant site should also be rinsed with a salt water solution.
- Slow Healing: A patient is more likely to experience slow healing if they have another medical condition. Possible conditions include gum disease, diabetes, cancer, alcoholism, or poor circulation due to smoking. We take preexisting conditions into account.
- Sinus Problems: Upper implants are placed very close to the floor of the sinus. Because of this proximity, an implant can perforate the floor of the sinus cavity. This is rare.
- Implant Failure: If an implant fails to integrate with the surrounding bone, it is usually due to insufficient blood supply. Teeth grinding, smoking, and the medical conditions discussed previously can impair blood circulation.
- Nerve Damage: Nerve damage occurs in a very small percentage of implant procedures. Patients may have pain, tingling or numbness at the implant site.
An informed patient makes the best decisions, and at Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH we make sure every dental implant patient knows exactly what is involved. Patients from Londonderry, Salem, and Chester trust us with dental implants and other restorative dentistry procedures. Contact us today!
Contact Vanguard Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):