Most people brush their teeth every day at least we hope so! However, there are many who brush incorrectly, not realizing it may be contributing to oral problems. Here are some smart brushing tips from Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH.
- One of the most important things to remember is to use a gentle touch when you brush. Brushing too aggressively can actually damage your gums, especially if you’re using a hard-bristle toothbrush.
- Plaque is soft and loose, so you don’t have to scrub very hard to remove it. Think of it not so much as brushing, but massaging your teeth. With that in mind you should you be able to keep that light, gentle touch.
- Be sure to get all over your teeth: the front and the sides, inside and out, and the top. When you to the sides, be sure you brush along the gum-line. Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle.
- Use a pea-sized blob of fluoridated toothpaste. Make sure the head of the toothbrush isn’t too big, especially if you have a smaller mouth. It needs to fit easily between your cheeks and gums.
- Last but not least, brush for at least two minutes. Some people find it useful to use a stopwatch to make sure they brush long enough. There’s an app for that, and you probably already have it on your smart phone.
At Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH, we want the best possible dental health for all of our patients. Patients from Londonderry, Salem, and Chester come to our office for family and restorative dentistry. Contact us today.