In this post from Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH, we focus on behaviors that influence dental health. Of course, regular brushing and flossing are two important habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to keep a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is needed for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are detrimental to enamel.
- Do wash your mouth after every meal, even when you can’t brush.
- Do use dental products with fluoride and Xylitol. These two can really polish your teeth.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar triggers the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This accelerates plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice (it really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are bad for teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Visit us when you feel tooth pain or sensitivity. Don’t ignore it!
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to avoid gum damage.
At Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH, we encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that promotes dental health as well as overall physical health. Patients from Londonderry, Salem, and Chester come to our practice for cosmetic and family dentistry. They also alleviate their dental anxiety with our sedation dentistry options. Contact us for your next checkup today!
Contact Vanguard Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):