Cracked teeth can be painful, unattractive, and expensive to repair. Today’s post in the Vanguard Dental Group dental blog contains an easy-to-follow list of tips to keep your teeth whole and strong.
1. Avoiding a cracked tooth means avoiding chewing on hard things. Mind-blowing, right? Londonderry and Windham dental patients should steer clear of ice, hard candies, hard nuts, popcorn, and beef jerky. Also be careful with pitted fruits – that peach may be soft but if you bite hard into the stone, you could damage a tooth.
2. It is critical to protect your teeth while engaging in any physical activity where you mouth can be hit. If you enjoy pick-up basketball games, indoor soccer leagues, Chester rec center flag football, and many other activities, you should be using a well-fitting mouth protector.
3. Don’t use your teeth as a tool. Take a minute to find a pair of scissors before you tear open a package of lunch meat or rip the price tag off a new piece of clothing with your teeth. Use a nutcracker for nuts. A quality dental crown can cost hundreds of dollars.
4. Most people know that grinding your teeth is detrimental, but did you know that it can lead to a cracked tooth? If you know or suspect that you are a tooth grinder, speak with your Manchester dentist so you can address the problem with stress reduction techniques and/or a mouth guard. Frequent headaches or jaw pain can frequently be attributed to nighttime teeth grinding.
5. Lastly, make sure that you visit your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings. Your dentist can alert you to conditions that might predispose you to cracked teeth, such as having an uneven chewing surface or brittle teeth. Your dentist may also discover tiny cracks you aren’t aware of. These cracks can then be repaired before further damage or decay occurs.
If you already have a cracked tooth, never fear! Treatment is available for cracks small and large. Veneers, cosmetic dental bonding, inlays/onlays, fillings, and dental implants are all used to repair or replace damaged teeth.
Drs. Rothenberg and Moskowitz provide exceptional dental care in Derry. Their practice, Vanguard Dental Group, offers the following services:
Sleep apnea and snoring
And more! If you live in Derry, Londonderry, Windham, or Chester, and are seeking a friendly, experienced, and gentle dentist, please give us a call at 603-435-1482 to schedule a consultation.
Drs. Rothenberg and Moskowitz
Vanguard Dental Group
19D Manchester Rd Ste 3
Derry, New Hampshire