Periodontal disease, also called gum disease, is inflammation or infection of the gums. It is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults, but there is treatment available at Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH.
Gum disease is now so pervasive in the US that it has been called a health crisis by the American Dental Association. The key to successful treatment is early detection.
- If left untreated, it can cause permanent damage such as tooth loss.
- Practicing daily dental hygiene and having 6-month dental exams are the best ways to prevent periodontal disease.
- Periodontal disease can occur without the presence of cavities.
- Almost half of all 30+ adults in the US have periodontal disease.
- In some cases, periodontal disease produces no noticeable symptoms.
Risk factors for periodontal disease include tobacco use, poor oral hygiene (especially failing to floss), genetics, teeth grinding, inflammatory conditions, and poor nutrition.
You can prevent gum disease by brushing and flossing your teeth daily, and by seeing us at Vanguard Dental Group in Derry NH for a cleaning and checkup every six months. If necessary, gum disease treatment is available. We also offer pediatric dentistry. Schedule your next appointment with us today.
Contact Vanguard Dental Group:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):